Re: Don't need Olestra to make Pesto!

>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 21:11:54 -0400
>To: "Kate Pugh" <katherine.sheppard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>From: "Barbara M. Harris" <bharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Don't need Olestra to make Pesto!
>
>>Arthur, I am not going to comment on Olestra...it's just you
>>mentioned you have cut out pesto. To my mind, the only essential
>>ingredients in pesto are garlic and basil. Parmesan and pine nuts are
>>definitely optional. To bind it together use tomato - cut a fresh
>>ripe tomato in half and grill it skin side up until the skin is well
>>browned. Now turn the halves over and grill until the flesh is soft.
>>Slip off the skins and remove the seeds and the nasty hard green bit
>>in the middle. Then put in the blender with basil and garlic. I can't
>>remember where I saw this suggested (the fat-free newsgroup?) but I
>>find it works well. If your diet allows, a few stoned black olives
>>will give the taste of olive oil with much-reduced fat.
>>

>>Kate
>>

>Mmmm...  That sounds tasty.  I never realized that one could make pesto
without some fat-based part.  I've avoided it for just that reason.
>Thanks.

Bye.
Barbara.

Barbara M. Harris
Vestal, New York
bharris@xxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: (607) 748-9810
Visit the home page of Binghamton's only Pipe & Drum Band at:
http://www.spectra.net/~bharris/pipeband.html

Piobaireachd players do it with variations on the ground.