salting eggplant

In Saturday's digest, Mickey Eisenberg asked:
What is the purpose of salting eggplant before using it in a recipe.
Everytime I do this it makes the dish taste too salty.  Is it necessary to
salt the sliced eggplant?

Most recipes that call for salting and "sweating" squash- or cabbage-family
veggies do so to remove excess moisture. However, the reason eggplant is
salted is to remove any bitterness.  I have found that fresh eggplant from
the garden never needs salting out, like eggplant from the grocery store.
To cut back on the added salt, try wiping off the salt grains from the
eggpland surface when you blot off the bitter liquid drawn out and
according adjust any salt added to the recipe.

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(713)275-7563, fax -8545