Blackeye Bean Casserole (for Tina)

Thursday 29 August 1996

Hello Tina and Everyone Else,

This has a lot of flavour. I also have a recipe for lentil burgers
which are really tasty, vegan and low in fat, but not low enough for the
list. Will be happy to send privately on request.

Tina - I am going to try your carrot pickle chips tomorrow. Thanks
for posting the recipe!

Kate

Blackeye Bean Casserole
------------------------

100g (4oz) cooked Blackeye Beans
1 small Onion, chopped finely
150g (3oz) Mushrooms, sliced
2 sticks Celery, thinly sliced
2 medium Carrots, thinly sliced
1 small can (100g or 4oz drained weight) Bamboo Shoots and
      Water Chestnuts  (or just bamboo shoots or just water chestnuts)
1/2 tsp finely-grated Ginger Root
1 finely-chopped Garlic Clove
1 heaped tbsp Cornflour or Arrowroot
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
125 ml (4 fl oz) Vegetable Stock or Broth
freshly-ground Black Pepper

Gently cook the onion, mushrooms, celery, carrots, bamboo shoots &
water chestnuts, ginger and garlic in a little of the stock for 10 minutes.

Mix the cornflour (or arrowroot) and soy with a little of the
remaining stock to make a paste; then stir in all the stock. Add this mixture
to the vegetables; also add the beans. Simmer 10 minutes and serve with
noodles or rice.