Re: banana bread

At 06:39 AM 8/30/96 -0700, Karen wrote:
>	  I have 2 cookbooks full of these types of recipes
>using applesauce or prune puree instead of fat, but all the ones I have
>tried absolutely WILL NOT COOK!  I have cooked muffins and breads, and
>had them in the oven for 90 minutes and they are still raw in the center
>and very heavy.  Needless to say, these often become bird food!  Any
>ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any other recipes, unfortunate, but I can help you with a more
"banana-ful" tasting bread...

It takes a while to cook, but I've never had problems with the "rawness" you
mention.

This recipe is also from my web pages, so if you forget it, lose it,
whatever, you can find it there. On my page, it has an ingredient that no
one here would like, so I left it out here. My friend for whom I've made
this bread says it's really great sliced and toasted.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~thorp/banana.html

Banana Bread

3 ripe bananas, well mashed  (be sure they are super ripe)
4 egg whites (also works with egg replacer)
2 cups of flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. "Grease" a loaf pan (2 if small). Mix the
bananas and "eggs"
together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
Put the batter in the pan(s) and bake aprox 1 hour, or until
toothpick/tester comes out clean. Remove from the pan to a rack. Serve still
warm or cooked, as you like it.

Patti