non stick pans

I am interested in the recent information about non stick pans because after
buying several and having their surfaces wear off in a couple months of use,
I gave up on them.  Are the ones that have been reccomended here more wear
hardy, or are there secrets to using them to ensure long term survival?  I
always used plastic utensils to avoid scratching.  Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Lynne
   From many sources we catch the sound of one melody.  Michael Grosso