portabella mushroom burgers

Awhile ago a recipe was posted for the portabella mushroom burger and I
tried it yesterday.  They were wonderful!  But we had trouble biting
through the top skin and would pull the whole mushroom out of the bun.
Is there a trip to keeping that from happening? I couldn't bake or BBQ
them so I pan steamed them.  Maybe that  made them tougher or something.

Thanks for the recipe.  I put lettuce, tomato and ff cheese and sauted
onion in the worcheshire sauce.  Yummy!

Kathy Anderson