Zucchini Burgers

Here's something delicious for those of you drowning in zucchini.  For what
it's worth, my very picky 13 year-old son rates these better than any vegie
burger, and we've tried quite a few. (This recipe was given to me in the
mid-70's and I just rediscovered it recently, adding a few LF modifications).

Zucchini Burgers

2 grated zucchini, drained for awhile to get rid of excess moisture
2 grated carrots
1/2 onion, diced
2 stalks celery with tops, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup oat flakes, uncooked
1-2 cups cooked rice
1 cup fine bread crumbs (original recipe calls for 1 cup wheat germ, sub for
bread crumbs in any proportion desired)
1 egg substitute (2 whites, egg replacer, Egg Beaters, etc.), used as a
binding agent
FF/LF jack cheese, sliced
sesame seeds (a few for sprinkling on top of burgers for flavor)

Saute (in pan coated with non-stick spray) the onion, celery and garlic.
Mix all of the
ingredients together.  Flour a cutting board and form mixture into patties.
Sprinkle patties with a few sesame seeds and "fry" in pan used for cooking
onion mixture, adding a bit of non-stick spray, if necessary. Cook until
browned on both sides.  Top with a little cheese and cook until melted.

Serve opened faced or as sandwiches with sprouts and tomatoes or with BBQ
sauce on a bun (more to my son's liking).

Makes about 12-15, depending on size. (I cook them all and freeze the
extras; works well).

Sandee Ritter
adritter@xxxxxxxxxxxx