pasta puttanesca

This is one of our favorite pasta dishes.  The original calls for lots of
olives, anchovies and olive oil.  I've adapted the original recipe and I think
it comes out very yummy.  I still use a few dark kalamata olives to give it a
musky taste, but I believe it would still be good without it.  By the way there
are all kinds of jokes about the name (you need to look up what putta means - I
don't want to offend anybody) but I think it has to do with the fact that the
dish is hot, easy and spicy!

PASTA PUTTANESCA

balsamic vinegar
1 large minced onion
1-6 cloves minces garlic
2 Tbl capers
1 Tbl minced kalamata olives (if you leave them out add a bit more capers or
salt.  note: the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup)
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp herbs de province (or a combination of rosemary and oregano)
1/2 bunch chopped fresh basil (or 1 Tbl dried)
salt & pepper

"Saut?" onions and garlic in balsamic vinegar and water, till translucent.  Add
capers and olives (if you're using them).  Continue cooking for another couple
of minutes until things are nicely blended.

Add everything but the salt and pepper.  Turn down heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve over a hearty pasta like linguine.