Tapioca and the Fatfree List

Mandy Jackson asked if tapioca was okay on this list.  I hope so; it's a
favorite pudding of mine.  Tapioca is composed primarily of starch from
the tuber of the cassava or manioc plant.  In the home, the starch is
pushed through small holes in a colander to produce what Waverly Root
calls the "familiar small, white, gelatinous, semi-translucent balls of
tapioca".  In commercial operations, I believe that the cassava/manioc
starch was kneaded, dried, and then slowly heated on a metal surface
until it beaded into tapioca.  There's probably some new sophisticated
technique used to make the quick-cooking tapioca that is available in
U.S. markets today.

Peter