Re: Puffed Wheat

I'm responding to Slyvia's post about Puffed wheat and its possible cause
of birth defects.  I'm still only a student of biology at Georgia State
University, but that doesn't make sense to me.  I can see where very high
heat would break down components of grain, but I am dubious as to how the
consumption of it would cause birth defects.  Maybe in the 40's where that
study was being done, they were using certain chemicals to make puffed
wheat? Can someone explain this to me? Is there substantial evidence of
this?  Slyvia, could you possibly give more information?  Thanks.