Re: pilaf (and a simple recipe) <T>

I looked up pilaf and found that it is Turkish and Persian in
origin, meaning rice combined with meat and vegetables, either
fried in oil or cooked/steamed with stock with herbs and spices.
The word was originally pilau.

No reason not to have a tasty low fat vegetarian version. I
often make up a cooker of brown rice in which I use a cup of
vegetable stock, a cup of cranberry juice cocktail and a cup
of tomato juice in place of three of the cups of water, a few
tablespoons of curry powder, a handful of raisins and a half
teaspoon of artificial coconut flavor. All this is simply added
with the rice at the beginning. When the rice is about 3/4
cooked, I open the lid, add two cups of diced mixed vegetables
on top of the rice and close up the pot again. The veggies get
steamed while the rice is cooking, giving them a gentle curry
flavor. The cranberry juice gives the impression that I've added
a fruit chutney.

A nutritious and tasty meal with little time or effort and no pots
and pans to clean up, no fat and no slaving over a hot stove.
Who says fatfree vegetarianism isn't fun?

Neal Pinckney <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii <> AH6HM