charcoal tablets/flaxseed oil

>I would like to know if anyone has experience in using activated
>charcoal as a solution to the gas and bloating problems veggies have.
>I know that the use of the charcoal will effect the benefits of
>medication a person is taking and/or viamin supplemnts. I have used the
>charcoal off and on these past two years with mixed results. Anyone have
>any thoughts or suggestions on using activated charcoal.
>
>Larry

Larry, from what I've read, the activated charcoal is for intestinal gas,
not stomach gas/bloating.  And yes, it does effect the absorption of some
medications and food supplements.  I have found it useful on the rare
occasions I have needed it.

>WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU PEOPLE WORRING ABOUT!!! FOR GOSH
>           SAKES, WHAT DO YOU THINK THE F.D.A. APPROVAL BOARD IS FOR!
>	Andy

Andy, I'm not worried about anything, but was simply responding to a concern
of another list user.  And about the FDA...I don't blindly put things in my
mouth because the US Government says they are OK to eat.  There's a huge
list of pesticides that are allowed to be sprayed on our food supply because
the FDA has decided they are "generally regarded as safe."  I could go on
for pages about other FDA approvals I find grossly negligent; these are
undoubtedly the result of huge Congressional lobbies (money talks), but this
is not the place for such discussions.

>Help - - I need someone with experience.
>	Since I am diabetic, I meet with my dietetician on a regular basis.
>She has suggested that I take 1 tbs. of flaxseed oil 4 to 5 times a week
>because I follow a vlf diet.  The reasoning behind this was that the
>body needs some fat for the fat soluble vitamins.  Has anyone heard of
>this, and can I safely ignore this?

Well, I can't speak to the diabetic issue except to say that I think
diabetics are supposed to follow low fat diets.  Flaxseed oil is a rich
source of some essential fatty acids.  These fats are ESSENTIAL to our
bodies (thus the name) and are not found in the VLF veggie diets we are
eating.  We do need *some* healthy fats (i.e. gamma linoleic acid, omega 3
fatty acid, omega 6 fatty acid) - they have been shown to have great health
benefits.

In good health,
Hillary