Oil and Dried Fruit

Do any of you know if oil is sprayed on or mixed with commercial dried
fruit? I opened some dried cranberries that had been in my cupboard for a
while and they had the smell of rancid oil. I threw them away, but I was
surprised to smell rancid oil. Today my husband added water to some raisins
to soak them for use in bread. A layer of oil floated to the top. We buy
our dried fruit in bulk from a reputable market. Previously we had asked
the personell at the market if anything was added to the fruit. They said
molasses was added to keep the fruit soft. As far as I know, molasses
doesn't get a rancid smell and doesn't form an oily layer.

I hope this question is consistent with the rules of the list.
Thanks. Eva

   Charles and Eva Deck
   2805 Trenton Drive
   Trenton, MI 48183