Re: jicama/fatfree bread

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Bronwyn Ward wrote:

> what is jicama?

Delicious.  My guess would be that it's closely related to a potato, but
I'm not sure.  It's a white, crunchy vegetable that I generally eat raw
and alone, like a carrot stick.

> I am also thinking about buying a breadmaker.  Can the recipes in the
> accompanying book easily be converted to ff and can some of these other recipes
> posted recently be made in a breadmaker?

Yes.  I've had no trouble making fatfree bread in a breadmaker - I do it
3-4 times/week.  I use applesauce to replace the butter with great
results.  Here's my favorite recipe, for those of you that already have
breadmakers:

CINNAMON RAISIN BREADMAKER BREAD

1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp applesauce
3 1/4 cups stoneground wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar (or other sweetener)
lots of cinnamon
some ginger
lots and lots and lots of raisins
3 1/2 tsp yeast

Makes a very very heavy loaf, which I love.

--Dave