Chocolate Biscotti

Hi!  I don't remember who was asking about biscotti recipes, but I found
this, from the February 1995 issue of Good Housekeeping.  I haven't
tried it, but it sounds wonderful!

Chocolate Biscotti

3/4 c. walnuts (I'm sure this could be reduced, or maybe eliminated?)
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 T. instant expresso-coffee powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 4 oz. container egg substitute
1 t. vanilla extract

About 2 hours before serving or early in day:

In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, toast walnuts, shaking skillet
frequently, until golden; remove skillet from heat.  Cool walnuts.

Meanwhile, into large bowl, measure flour, sugar, cocoa, expresso-coffee
powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Chop walnuts.  With spoon, stir walnuts, egg substitute, and vanilla
extract into flour mixture just until blended.  With floured hands,
knead mixture until it holds together (mixture may appear dry or
crumbly).

Preheat oven to 325 F.  Spray large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking
spray.  On lightly floured surface, divide dough in half.  With lightly
floured hands, roll each half of dough into an 8" by 2 1/2" loaf.  Place
loaves, about 3 inches apart, on cookie sheet.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes
until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.

Remove cookie sheet from oven.  Turn oven control to 300 F.  Cool loaves
10 minutes for easier slicing.

With serrated knife, cut loaves crosswise into 1/4 inch thick diagonal
slices.  Arrange slices, cut-side down, on same cookie sheet, making
sure they do not touch.  Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer
(cookies will seem cakelike in center but will become characteristically
crisp and dry when cooled).  Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.
Store cookies in tightly covered container.  Biscotti are traditionally
dipped in hot coffee for dessert.  Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Each cookie:  about 50 calories, 1 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 35 mg.
sodium.