flax seeds

Joyce asks---

> I was wondering if anyone had any receipes using ground flax seed.  I know
>you can use it as an egg substitute and I am including a very good Flaxseed
>muffin receipe.  However I love the taste of Flax and would like more ways to
>use it.

snip

Joyce, please remember that flax seeds are very high in fat,  I couldn't
find the details in the USDA data base, but when Dr. Ornish came out with
his new guidelines recently, he recommended 1 teaspoon flax seed oil per
day, (or 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds).  The 3 cups called for in your
muffin recipe is really not appropriate for a fatfree diet.  So, if you,
like most of us on this list, are trying to keep to a healthy fatfree diet,
you may want to rethink the flax seeds.

For that 1 tablespoon of seeds, grind them and sprinkle on a salad.  Also
remember that whole flax seeds are not digestible, they are just too hard.

Stay with us on the fflist!  Just, please leave the oils and high fat
ingredients out of the recipes you share.
Regards,
Jan

Regards,   Jan  (jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx)

EcoVillage Ithaca, looking for people to help plan, and live in,
the second neighborhood group.  Open House Nov 29.
for info:  http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/ecovillage/ or jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx