Re: Leftover mashed potatoes

Hi All~

What a generous group of people you are -- ask and you shall receive.  Thanks
for all those great recipes -- Dana, Claus, Betty, Karen, Jane, Fran, Deline,
Susan, Diana, and Tane'!

Here are several that were sent to me directly and I thought they should be
shared (hope that is okay).

IRISH POTATO BREAD

Mix with a little flour, some milk and some seasoning,
form into thin patties and dry-fry.

"ROTEL" MASHED POTATOES

6 to 7 cups  mashed potatoes
1 can (10 ozs) Rotel diced tomatoes/green chilies
1(8 ozs) fat free sour cream
1/2 cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese

Mix potatoes, Rotel and sour cream in a large bowl. Spoon into a
2-quart baking dish. Bake 25 minutes at 350. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake
an additional 5 minutes or til cheese melts.

PATTIES

Add some chopped onions and peppers and form them into patties while
still cold and then put them in a pre heated fry pan sprayed with Pam
and they become crisp and good with ketchup; on a bun even! or with
other veggies.

Here's what I made the other night, inspired by my list-mates and Heloise, whose
recipe for "Cream Soup Starter" appeared in the paper this week.

"CREAM" OF MUSHROOM SOUP (My favorite as a child growing up in cold Minnesota).

"Saute" sliced mushrooms in a PAM srayed skillet til browned and set aside.

In saucepan mix the following ingredients (thanks Heloise):
1 cup nonfat dried milk powder
1 T dried onion flakes
2 T cornstarch
2 T Dixie Diner Club broth mix (or your favorite bouillon powder)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Add 2 cups cold water to the mix and stir constantly over med heat til
thickened.
Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes and blend well.  Add about 1 cup
additional
water to thin to desired consistency.  Add sauteed mushrooms.  Serve in
bowls with
a spoonful of LF/FF shredded cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of baco's. Serves
four
(or just two if you're very hungry).

I had a couple other ideas for leftover mashed taters: add to bread dough,
or mix
with mashed rutabagas for a holiday meal when topped with mushroom gravy.
Those ubiquitous rutabagas! ;^)

Thanks again . . .

~Sandee
 adritter@xxxxxxxxxxxx