Re: Quinoa

Annulla asked what to do with quinoa (say keen-wa).

This is a slight modification of Amy Ahmer's recipe (posted
to Fatfree on 11/30/93), which has become one of our family
favorites. I couldn't find Amy's recipe in the archives, so Michelle
might want to add this. Amy's husband called the recipe "guts cause
that's what he says it looks like". Don't let the name put you off --
this is delicious.

Guts

1 cup dry quinoa
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilis (or 1 can of diced
        tomatoes plus 1 small can of diced green chilis -
        Amy's recipe did not include green chilis)
1 15 oz can beans (pinto, black, or kidney), rinsed
1 15 oz can hominy (white or yellow), rinsed
1/2 tsp powdered garlic
1/2 tsp powdered onion
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt (you might prefer more)

Rinse quinoa thoroughly (it will taste bitter if you don't) and cook,
covered, on low heat for 15 minutes in 2 cups boiling water. Stir in
tomatoes and chilis, beans, hominy, herbs and spices and heat
thoroughly. Serve.

You can use fresh onion and garlic, and fresh herbs if you prefer.
The beauty of the recipe above is that it only takes about 20 minutes
from start to table.

--
Bob Simmons
Houston, TX