using fresh herbs in recipes

I'm starting to use fresh basil (it's growing like crazy in my sunroom), and
I'm not sure how to figure out how much fresh to use in a recipe that calls
for dried basil.

Can someone please advise?

Also, FYI, I came across an interesting method of drying fresh herbs.  Lay
some newspaper in the back of your car (back seat or back window ledge) and
spread out the fresh herbs. Close the car up tightly, & park in a sunny
place.  By the end of the day, the herbs should be fully dried.  I haven't
tried it, but it sounds like a neat trick.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy