ramen and a question

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Katja wrote:

> Are there healthy ramen packets out there ... the store ones are LOADED
> with fat and HIGH calorie!!! :((

There are some low-fat ramen products, but I don't know how low-fat, and
I don't know if they're any good.

Instead of ramen, I switched to udon noodle packets.  I get these at my
local oriental grocery, but I've also seen them in some HFSs.  Udon
noodles are thick chewy noodles which I find very satisfying, although it
is a different texture from the ramen noodles.
I've seen the udon noodles two ways--in convenience packets like ramen
noodles, and dry like spagetti.  When dry, they're really flat, so they
absorb lots of water during cooking.  I've seen the dry kind in almost
any HFS, but of course that isn't as convenient.

Actually, I guess I've seen them packaged three ways.  Just this weekend,
I was exploring the most scary part of the oriental grocery--the
freezer!  They had frozen family-size servings of the pre-cooked udon.
They also had a whole, bright-yellow pickled daikon radish which I was
too scared to try, and vegetarian duck meat, which the cashier said some
vegetarians didn't like because it tasted too much like duck.  (It's made
of gluten.)  I bought some of the duck, so I'll let you know how it turns
out, once I figure out how to cook it.  :)

I was searching the store for sushi fixings because I'm out of ideas for
things to put in sushi.  I was looking for what the sushi restaurant
calls "Japanese pickle."  Is this pickled daikon radish?  What else can I
put in sushi?  I usually use: cucumber, small amounts of avocado, egg,
sometimes sunflower sprouts,  or red bell peppers.  How do raw carrots
work?  They seem awfully crunchy.  The store had frozen dehydrated gourd
strips--has anyone tried these?

Thanks,

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill