salad dressing recipes

Here are a few wonderful dressing recipes from Sarah Schlesinger's cookbook
"500 Fat Free Recipes."  I have found that most of the dressing recipes she
includes are pretty close to the old high-fat versions I used to eat.  I may
have to do this over a few posts, as the recipes start to elongate the text a
little.  This is just a sampling of my favorites, but if everyone wants more,
I can keep posting until they're all given.
- Christy Hardin Smith
ReddHedd@xxxxxxx

Sweet & Sour Dressing
1 c. water                                                      1/4 c. apple
cider vinegar
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar                               1 tsp. ground
paprika
2 tsp. Dijon mustard                                        1 tsp. celery
seed
Combine water, sugar, mustard, & vinegar in blender or food processor and
process until well combined.  Whisk in paprika & celery seed.  Makes 2 cups.
 27 calories per 1/4 cup serving.  0.1 g fat.  3% fat.  NOTE:  I sometimes
add a tsp. of poppy seeds to this as well.  Makes a fabulous dressing for a
spinach and strawberry salad.

Basic Italian Dressing
2 Tbsp. arrowroot or cornstarch
2 c. water
1/2 c. white wine vinegar
1/4 c. minced green bell pepper
2 scallions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Dissolve arrowroot or cornstarch in 1/4 c. of the water.  Bring remaining 1
3/4 c. water to a boil.  Stir in dissolved thickener and whisk until liquid
is clear.  Allow mixture to cool.  Stir in vinegar, green pepper, scallions,
garlic, mustard, honey, parsley, paprika, & black pepper.  Makes 3 cups.  16
calories per 1/4-cup serving.  0.1 g fat.  6% fat.

Honey Mustard Dressing
1 c. plain nonfat yogurt                                     4 tsp. Dijon
mustard
2 Tbsp. honey                                                  1 tsp. cider
vinegar
Combine yogurt, honey, mustard & cider vinegar in a jar.  Tighten lid & shake
until blended.  Chill 30 minutes before serving.  Makes 1 cup.  69 calories
per 1/4-cup serving.  0.2 g fat.  3% fat.