Lubia (Bean Stew)

Another North African recipe from Vegetarian Journal:

Lubia (Bean Stew) Serves 4-6

(author's notes)
You can mix the beans in the spicy stewfor a variety of flavors and
textures.  My host drained off the water by serving up the stew through
a slotted wooden spoon.

(I however, did not drain it at all because the rich red sauch was so
delicious!)

1 quart cold water
1 pound beans (kidney, navy, white, cnnelini) soaked and cooked until
	soft, or three 16 ounce cans, drained.  (I used canned kidney
	beans.)
1 clove whole garlic
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon sweet red paprika
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons oregano (I added this)
1 cup water

In a stew pot, boil water with beans, cloves and onion until vegetables
are tender.  Drain off 2 cups of the liquid.  In a saucepan, saute
minced garlic (in whatever you like), chopped parsley, hot pepper
flakes, paprika, bay leaves and salt for 3-5 minutes.  When seasonings
are slightly smoking, add crushed tomatoes, ground cumin and one cup of
water.  Bring this mixture to a boil, then add to the bean pot.  Serve
with pita over rice.