Herbs and spices recommendations

 Bridget wrote:

>My problem seems to be that everytime I try a recipe I have to run out and
>buy a new spice. Can someone recommend a "typical" spice cabinet?

The following are my recommendations for a complete herb and spice cabinet,
and a few of the foods they go well with. I hope this helps!

Chad
GLOBAL HEALTH AND FITNESS     www.global-fitness.com
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  1-800-593-4899  Fax: 503-238-2412
       2904 SE 51st Ave  Portland,  Oregon  97206,  USA
   "Your on-line guide to healthy living and optimal fitness."

    HERBS AND SPICES

     basil
     allspice
     onion powder
     ginger
     sage
     chili pepper
     paprika
     dill
     cinnamon
     thyme
     garlic powder
     curry powder
                                  oregano
                                  rosemary
                                  red pepper
                                  marjoram
                                  tarragon
                                  dry mustard
                                  cumin
                                  saffron
                                  nutmeg

Basil and Oregano

These spices are great for tomato-based dishes like pasta sauces, soups,
and pizza.

Curry Powder

This spice has a similar taste to butter and goes well with potatoes, rice,
and pasta. It also works well in place of salt. Some people enjoy it on
popcorn!

Ginger

Ginger is a strong spice that goes very well with rice, Japanese noodles,
and
carrots.

Red Pepper, Chili Pepper, and Paprika

All are all very good flavor enhancers. Red pepper is often used in
vegetable stews, baked beans, and pasta. Chili pepper is milder and helps
make chili powder, which goes very well
with chili, rice, potato chips (baked/low-fat variety), dips, sauces, and
Mexican
foods. Paprika will color food as well as flavor it. It goes well on
macaroni salads, potato salad, and
on baked potatoes.

Garlic and Onion

Both come in different forms: powdered, granulated, ground, chopped, or
sliced. If you actually
want to see and feel the garlic or onion on your food, buy it whole,
minced, chopped, or sliced. If
taste alone is what you're after, powdered or granulated will work fine.
Both onion and garlic go
great on potatoes, vegetables, and pasta. Scientific research has shown
that
garlic may lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and prevent cancer.

Cinnamon

A sweet spice, cinnamon is very good in desserts. Cinnamon is a great way
to add more flavor to
low-fat desserts without more sugar. Nutmeg and allspice also work well.
Cinnamon is also very
tasty sprinkled on muffins, toast, and popcorn.

Other helpful spices include rosemary, sage, tarragon, marjoram, cumin,
saffron, thyme, dry
mustard, and dill.