marmite

to the person who asked about marmite...

It is a kiwi/Aussie thing I think, a yeast extract, people who don't first try
it as a kid always seem to think it is really gross!!  It is a brown spread -
you don't need much - used much as you use jam.  It is also good for using in
making gravy.  Could be similar in taste to miso actually...  There is also
vegemite (I can't see the difference on the label but...) and promite
(Australian brand).  it is a matter of taste which you use.  They are very high
in B vitamins.
You can probably use them in much the same way you use miso - I have heard of
people making a hot tea-like drink from it.