I'm not sure what I bought!

At the grocery store yesterday, I came across a vegetable (I'm pretty sure it's
a small squash) that looked interesting, so I bought a few.  Now I'm not sure
what they are or what to do with them.  They are round and kind of flat, 3-4
inches in diameter, about 2 inshes tall, sort of pale green, and have scalloped
edges around the top, and are smaller around the bottom than around the top.
Does anyone know what this is or have any suggestions on how to prepare it?
Also, I bought a yuca root.  I had eaten this on a trip to Costa Rica, and now I
want to try it out at home.  Any good recipes?
Thank you!
Jenny Wilton