[no subject]

>I have a disabled son, who has a major cholesteral and fat problem.
> It's a birth defect thing.  He was just put on a low fat strict vegetarian
>diet.  This is a big change to us, so any tips or recipies will help alot.

Lila,
        My son (who badly needs a much lower-fat diet and is nearly
impossible to keep on one) LOVES Smart Dog vegie hot dogs (Tree of Life
brand?); they're delicious, vegan, and completely fat free!  He also loves
Boca Burgers (also vegan & ff) which are sometimes too meat-flavored for me.
For baking cakes and muffins, I substitute applesauce in equal amounts for
oil.  I also "saute" in a good-quality nonstick skillet or sometimes add a
bit of broth made from vegetarian boullion.
        The way I changed from a meat-eating, high fat diet to very low fat
vegan was by trying lots of recipes from this list and the ff archives, and
using them, develop new favorites.  I seldom try to "slim down" the old
high-fat favorites; they almost never taste the same.  With a combination of
some healthy meat substitutes (for my son) and new, delicious favorites,
we're eating better than ever, slimming down and my cholesterol is dropping
dramatically.  I'd be glad to share some of my favorites from the list, if
you want to email me privately.  Good luck!
Jane

     Jane Smith
     mjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Special Collections, Pickler Memorial Library
     Truman State University (formerly NMSU)
     Kirksville, Missouri  USA