Cook Once A Week

One week, I cook two pounds of dried beans (for the two of us) into chili or
any other bean dish we like.  Then we eat it every other day, alternating it
with anything else we want.  That is the week!  I do the same the next week
with a rice dish, etc.

In between, we eat a lot of fresh vegetables in the summer, cooked frozen
vegetables in the winter, and any fruit in season for dessert.  It's a
little more restrictive in the winter because there are fewer fresh fruits
and vegetables.  Potatoes, squash, and many other vegetables are very easy
and quick to zap in the microwave--whole, sliced, or chopped.  (I use a
cheap vegetable chopper which works fine!)

Another winter dish is "pig out" soup.  This was on some TV show 10-15 years
ago!  Start with one 46-ounce can of tomato juice or vegetable juice for the
base in a large stock pot.  Spices: bay leaf, oregano, basil, rosemary.
Then add whatever vegetables (frozen or fresh, sliced or chopped) you like.
I use onions, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, peas, potatoes,
spinach.  Other suggested vegetables are carrots, turnips, zucchini, corn,
cabbage.  Partially cook or thaw the frozen vegetables in the microwave
before adding to the pot.  It takes a few hours but then I have supper for
the entire week.  We really like this!

If you work, cook on a day off.  It's very relaxing and creative, too.  Cook
a large quantity and freeze in portion sizes for later.  I'm always looking
for new recipes and new combinations for variety.  This group has helped
tremendously.  Thanks all!

Lois in Sylvania, Ohio