thanks, and another pumpkin recipe

Thanks to whoever posted the details for accessing the archive via
e-mail-- I had tried ftp and going to the website to no avail.

So.. though I promised a carrot cake recipe, someone else beat me
to it. Instead, I'll post an untested recipe that came in this week's
Sunday paper that looks pretty delicious. It makes a layered rice
pudding-- one layer should be an orange-colored pumpkin layer, and
the other a traditional white rice pudding layer.

I plan to try it tonight, and I'll report the results. It calls for a vanilla
bean,
but I'll just use a tsp or two of vanilla extract instead. So, here goes:

Practically Fat-Free Pumpkin Rice Pudding

2 quarts water
1 c. Arborio or other short-grain rice
4 c. non-fat milk (I'll try rice milk)
1 vanilla bean, split (I'll try 1-2 tsp vanilla extract)
pinch of salt
1/3 c. sugar
15 oz can pureed pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 c raisins

In a heavy, large saucepan, bring water to a boil and
add the rice. Boil, uncovered, for 7 minutes; drain well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the same saucepan, bring
the milk to a boil over medium high heat, stirring
occasionally. Add the vanilla bean, rice, and salt.
Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat, stirring often,
until rice is very soft and absorbs most of the milk,
15-18 minutes. Remove from heat, remove vanilla bean,
and stir in sugar.

In a large bowl, mix pumpkin with half (2 cups) of the
rice pudding. Add cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Spoon
pumpkin rice pudding into a buttered 2 quart baking pan
(I'll use a quick spray of Pam). Mix raisins into white
rice mixture. Spoon it over the pumpkin mixture. Bake,
uncovered, 30 minutes, or until firm. Serve warm, sprinkled
with cinnamon if desired.

Serves 4-6.

I copied this from West Magazine, which copied it from
"The New Casserole"by Faye Levy.

Enjoy!
T Sconyers
asconyers@xxxxxxx