Artificial Sweetners

Julie said:
> Baked Apple:
> Core an apple and put in a microwave-safe dish.
> Pour either diet creme soda or diet rootbeer over it.
> Microwave until the apple is soft.
> That's it! Presumably, the soda turns syrupy and gooey. I don't remember
> if the recipe recommended sprinkling cinnamon or anything else on, but
> you can experiment.

I have heard that aspartame (Nutrasweet) breaks down when heated to
some unpleasent (and not sweet) components. There is a page that
Dr. Weil (http://cgi.pathfinder.com/@@hqqLlQUA7CGpFbKN/drweil/)
references that talks about that and other aspects of aspartame:
http://web2.airmail.net/marystod/smith.html. I cannot vouch for
the info there, but I did want to comment on the concept of heating
diet soda.

Katherine