calcium and vegans

Cynthia Barnes wrote that she was concerned that her diet may be too low in
calcium.  While this isn't the place for in-depth nutritional discussion
(and I'm certainly NOT qualified to speak as an authority!), I just want to
note that my understanding is that eating animal protein actually depletes
the calcium in your body, and the RDA of calcium assumes that you will be
eating animal protein.  For those who don't eat meat, lower levels of
calcium may be sufficient.