Pan Spray

Rosemary,
        I found a wonderful way to get by without pan spray (and any alcohol
contained therein); I just put a couple of drops of vegetable oil in my
nonstick frying pan, wipe it around with a bit of paper towel, then wipe up
any excess (of which there is usually none).  It seasons my nonstick pan
rather than make it oily so everything cooks well without reducing the
nonstick qualities of the finish as the pan sprays tend to do.  And it's
incredibly inexpensive!  I use nonstick Baker's Secret pans for baking and
don't use any sprays or oils in them.  After they come out of the oven, I
just let the bread or cake, etc. sit for a few minutes and then pop them out
of the pan.  I guess moisture must build up around the edges to loosen the
baked goods.  Anyway, I haven't used pan sprays for months and have found my
pans are much better for the change!

Jane

>I have a question about pam and other cooking sprays used by FFers.  As far
>as I can tell, all of these products contain alcohol as a propellent.  My SO
>is a teetotaller (won't even use cough syrup with alcohol), so I was
>wondering if anyone has found a product without alcohol, or if you know if
>the alcohol will evaporate with cooking.

     Jane Smith
     mjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Special Collections, Pickler Memorial Library
     Truman State University (formerly NMSU)
     Kirksville, Missouri  USA