Romancing the (pizza) stone

Kellie bought a pizza stone and would love to love it.  I loved mine (past
tense as in the ex has it now) and found there were good things to remember:
Use your pizza stone when it is hot.  So, preheat the oven and the stone for
about fifteen minutes at your desired baking temperature before sliding the
pizza on to it.   I had a pizza paddle that allowed me to make the pizza
directly on the paddle and slid it onto the stone.  I baked most pizzas for
about fifteen minutes at 400 degrees and had no trouble with sticking.  One
suggestion to avoid sticking is to put cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza
dough.
When to not use the stone:  I once made the mistake of leaving the stone in the
oven while baking a cake.  The cake took three hours to bake.  The stone
absorbed most of the heat.
Lastly, in the wintertime, after you use the stone, leave the oven door open
(if you don't have a toddler or a big dog) for an hour or so to get the benefit
of the slowly releasing heat.
Susan