Pickled beets

Hi,

    I've been interested in the discussion of beets and what to do with
them. Here is a recipe that pairs cooked sliced beets with raw sliced
onions. I've made it for holiday dinners for years - I found it
originally in a 1970 issue of Gourmet magazine.

                      Pickled beets

1 large can sliced beets (or two cups sliced freshly cooked beets)
1/2 cup liquid from beets
One medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1-1/2 tsp. salt
6 whole cloves
a 3-inch piece of cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed

Combine beets and onions in a bowl and set aside. In a saucepan mix the
reserved beet liquid, the cider vinegar, sugar, water and salt. Add the
cloves, cinnamon stick and mustard seeds tied together in a cheesecloth.
Bring liquid to a boil and  simmer it, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove
and discard the cheesecloth bag. Pour the hot liquid over the beets and
onions, cover with plastic wrap, let cool, and refrigerate overnight.

    We found in my family that the onions disappeared long before the
beets - they've got a great flavor and a nice crunch.

    I've been busy trying out some of the recipes that sound so good,
and some of them are becoming favorites. I've loved the rice, black bean
and corn salad recently posted, and I'll also be making the berry
cobbler again. When I started a vegetarian diet on the advice of my
doctor several years ago, I thought I'd be restricted to "rabbit food"
for life. I've learned from all of you that nothing could be further
from the truth! Thanks for all your inspiration.

Margaret