Southwestern Barley Salad

This was a hit at my house.  I couldn't find quick-cooking barley, but used
pearl barley.  The original recipe said that it was 4 servings, but it made
10 servings at my house, and it suggested serving it on tortilla chips.  I
think that sad eaters would enjoy it also.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Southwestern Barley Salad

Recipe By     : Prevention Magazine, August, 1998
Categories    : Beans And Legumes                Grains And Cereals
                Salads, Main Dish                Vegetables

                        ***BARLEY***
   1      cup           quick-cooking barley
                        ***DRESSING***
   1      cup           prepared hot or medium salsa
     1/2  cup           tomato juice
   2      tablespoons   red wine vinegar
   2      tablespoons   lime juice
                        black pepper -- to taste
                        ***SALAD***
     3/4  cup           frozen corn kernels -- thawed
   1                    red and green bell peppers -- diced
   2                    scallions -- thinly sliced
  15 1/2  ounces        red kidney beans, canned -- rinsed and drained
     1/2  cup           chopped fresh cilantro
     3/4  cup           cheddar cheese, fat free -- shredded

1.  In a medium saucepan, cook barley according to package directions.

2.  In a small  bowl, mix salsa, tomato juic, vinegar, lime juice, and pepper.

3.  In a large bowl, toss together barley, corn, peppers, scallions, beans,
and cilantro.  Add dressing and toss to coat Sprinkle with Cheddar and
serve with tortilla chips.  Serves 4

QUICK SWITCH: Out of barley? Try kamut.  In a medium pan, bring 4 c water,
1 1/3 c kamut, and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil.  Cover; simmer 1 hr until puffed
and tender.  Makes 3 c.

Calories=183, Fat=1, CHOL=2, FIBER = 8g, PRO=10g, CARB= 36g, SODIUM=559mg

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 86 0 1114 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx