Re: Fatfree Three/Four Bean Salad

Hi All~

I'm catching up on my fat free digests and I wanted to send in my
version of this delicious salad, which was posted by L. F. LaFountain on
7/23.

> 1 can each kidney beans, wax beans and green beans, drained and rinsed
> (garbanzo beans may also be used if desired)
>
> Sweet Sour Marinade:
> 1/2 cup wine vinegar or cider vinegar
> 3 tablespoons sugar or equivalent substitute such as Equal or Nutrasweet
> 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
> 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed, optional
>
> Mix together vinegar, Equal, and dill seed.  If sugar is used, heat
> dressing until the sugar is dissolved.  Cool.  Pour over beans, cover and
> refrigerate over night.  If more liquid is desired, double marinade recipe.
>
> To serve, lift the beans out of the marinade with a slotted spoon and
> arrange them on crisp salad greens.  Garnish with fresh tomato wedges.

I use an almost identical recipe which includes the garbanzo beans. But
instead of dill and caraway seeds,
I use 1 tsp. of celery seed and 1 tsp. of mustard seed.

For interest and crunch I always add:

raw flowerets of cauliflower, chunks of green pepper, slices of celery
and one large sweet onion, sliced.  A small can of baby limas is nice
too.

Of course my mom, who developed this recipe, used oil in her marinade,
but it tastes great without it. This tastes best the second day . . .
and even better each day after that  (if it lasts that long) and it's
good for pot lucks 'cause it needs no refrigeration.

~Sandee