easy, fast posole

Hi, Zoe!  Here's a great posole recipe from my mom.  I believe that she
got it from the Atlanta Journal and Constitution.  It takes no time at all
to fix it and it tastes great.  We have used it as a dip for tortilla
chips and as a topping on nachos.  There's rarely any left...what there is
left, mom sends to us, her starving college kids!!  I do have one
question, though. How do you pronounce it? :-)

Leah in Athens, GA
Go DAWGS!!

Posole

Servings: 4
Prep time: 5 min.
Cooking time: 5 min.

1    14 1/2oz. can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1    15-oz. can white hominy (posole), drained and rinsed
1    15-oz. can black, pinto or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
     (black beans taste the best, IMHO)
1     cup frozen corn
1     teaspoon dried oregano
1/8  teaspoon cipotle chili powder or cayenne
       Sal to tast
1     tablespoon roasted garlic or other olive oil (optional)

In large saucepan, combine tomatoes, hominy, beans, corn, oregano, chili
powder and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer,
stirring occassionally, until hot, about 5 minutes.  Just before serving,
stir in oil, if using.

   --From "Short-Cut Vegetarian" by Lorna Sass (Quill, $16).

OUR VARIATIONS:   Add any or all of the following:  chopped onion,
garlic, chopped bell pepper (red or green), chile powder, cilantro.