Re: Baked beans recipe

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Barbarisi, Karen R. wrote:

> My question is it a real project to make baked beans.  I don't own a
> pressure cooker or crockpot.  Anyone have any fairly easy recipes?

It's very easy.  If you've got a large pot and an oven, you don't
need a pressure cooker or crockpot.  I got my recipe from Laurel's
Kitchen, and since I made a huge batch for a picnic last week I
think I can remember it.

3 cups cooked navy beans
1 large onion
1/4 - 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
1-2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2-4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rum (optional, and not in the original recipe)

Chop the onion and saute it in a little water or liquid of your choice.
Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for about an
hour.  The recipe says to cover the pot, but you might want to leave
it off for some of the time if there seems to be too much liquid.

The day of the picnic, I put them in a 250 degree oven for about
3 hours instead and they were fine.

Jane Colman