Re: corn syrup

Brenda Schetnan wrote:

Hi all, could someone provide some info on what the  scoop on corn syrup
is?  good, bad indifferent?   Thanks Brenda in NM

Corn syrup is basically liquid sugar (that's made from corn, of course),
with pretty much the same nutritional values (corn syrup has a tiny bit
more of minerals such as potassium, calcium, and phosphorus, but not enough
to matter much.)  Whether that's good, bad, or indifferent depends on the
eye of the beholder.  Iowans like it because it's good for our economy,
though few of us use much of it in our own cooking.  It is used extensively
as a sweetener in the food industry in the U.S.  (For example, it is the
sweetener of choice in most soft drinks.)

Debbie C
Iowa City, Iowa (corn syrup country)