eggplant advice

>I have no clue how to pick out a good eggplant. How do I know which ones
>are good?

Choose the *lightest* eggplants for their comparable sizes.  The
undesirable seeds contribute to the weight (and bitterness) of the
vegetable.  Therefore, the fewer seeds there are, the lighter and better
tasting it is.

For parmigiana-style cooking, I always peel my eggplants first (probably
optional), then very thinly slice them into rounds.  Sprinkle the rounds
with salt and let them rest in a colander or on paper towels for 10 or 15
minutes to leach out some of the water.  Rinse and pat dry.  You will have
to experiment with various coatings.  I used to dip the slices in flour,
then egg, then cracker meal or bread crumbs before sauteeting.  The flour
dip will help the egg to adhere, but since eggs are not fat free, you'll
have to make up a new invention (maybe plain yogurt?)

Good luck, and bon appetit!

Steph in Madison, WI