FF: About Eggplant

One of the reasons that the eggplant in the restaurant is not mushy when
they serve it, is because it has more than likely been fried in a a whole
lot of oil until it is extremely crisp.  And since eggplant absorbs oil
like a dry sponge absorbs water, I am talking about a whole lotta lotta oil.

Now, for those of us on this list, such preparation methods are not
available.  I have also discovered that cooking ff makes me change my
expectations of what is good and what is not.  Difficult sometimes with all
the emotional issues we attach to food, but there we are.  Cooking without
fat means it will taste different and it will have a different texture.  So
i just aim to getting used to it.

About eggplant specifically you could try frying it in a dry skillet till
it is crisp but watch it or it will burn.  Or you could try broiling it
somewhat.  Again take care that it doesn't burn.

About preparing meals for the freezer.  i have cooked many a recipe that
was posted to this list and then frozen it into serving sizes.  then
defrosted and re-heated in the microwave.  There is also a list for just
this lind of cooking, although moost of the recipes are not low fat, let
alone fat free and not exactly what i would call healthful.  But I adapt
many of them to my standards.  Please let me know privately off list if you
want the info.

--
Gloriamarie, writing to you where San Diego's Perpetually Perfect Weather
reigns again!!

"The moral is, build up that stash. You never know when you're
going to need to knit a scarf for the Dalai Lama." Jean Miles, Edinburgh
mailto:gma@xxxxxxxx