microwave popcorn

Just curious, but is there any way to pop corn in the microwave using
regular kernels (you know, like the kind you'd use in a hot air popper)?
I've heard about a device that will allow you to do that, but I wasn't sure
(a) if the device was really necessary (can you use any microwavable
container??) and (b) if you could use that device (or any other method) to
make FF microwave popcorn.   Any advice on the matter?

Thanks,
Kristin