	  Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:54:44 EDT
	  From: JBennicoff <JBennicoff@xxxxxxx>
	  Subject: Re: a tasty, quick, fatfree black bean soup

	  This soup was so good I made it two nights in a row! It's from Everyday
	  Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish.

	  Quick Black Bean Soup

	  1 cup diced onion
	  2-4 cloves garlic, minced
	  1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
	  two 15oz cans black beans
	  one can 15oz diced tomatoes
	  1 cup diced peeled russet potatoes
	  1 tsp dried thyme (lemon thyme is even tastier)
	  1 teaspoon cumin
	  1/2 teaspoon or to taste, Tabasco sauce

	  Combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the broth in a large pot. Bring to a
	  simmer and cook until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rest
	  of the broth, black beans with their juice, potatoes, tomatoes, thyme, and
	  cumin. Bring to a simmer, cover, and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cook
	  about 25 minutes until the potatoes are tender.  Thin soup if nescessary with
	  a little more  broth.  Taste and adjust seasoning. (You may wish to add some
	  salt.
	  Serving size: 1-1/2 cups
	  Calories: 164
	  Fat: .7g