"This isn't a resturant"

Dawnn - It has been my experience that often what we THINK are other
people's expectations are really OUR expectations of THEIR
expectations.  Don't assume.  My SO and I have lived together for 5
years and he is/was a seriously SAD eater.  For us it works like this:
What I cook is what he eats.  He doesn't like it, he fixes something
else.  I try to be accommodating (sometimes I cook him a piece of meat
"as a side dish"), but in the end, it's my kitchen - not a restaurant.
I try to work in faux meat vegetarian meals occasionally (see meatball
recipe). Adam knows that this isn't about punishing him or myself, it's
simply the way I cook.  He actually gets a little grossed out now when
someone serves him food that is swimming in fat.  He eats whatever he
wants for lunch or when dining out, and when you think about it, that's
about 50% of his meals.

As a recovering fatty I know as well as anyone how emotions get tangled
up with food.  My advice?  Don't make a big deal out of it and he
probably won't.  But start educating him NOW.  Cook dinner for him
rather than eating out, talk about a recipe you'd like to try and a word
of caution - there's a thin line between conscienceness raising and
nagging!

Good luck and congratulations - Carma

Carma's "He didn't know it wasn't meat" Meatballs
          Really, he swore he wouldn't have known if I hadn't told him.

1 pkg. Gimme Lean - Beef style (you can use this soy product in any
recipe calling for ground beef)
1/4 c. ketchup
1 onion, diced finely
1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2 teas. Italian herb mix
salt & pepper

Mash it all together and form into 1 inch balls.  Spray baking sheet
with non stick spray and arrange balls so they are not touching.  Bake
at 375 degrees until browned and crusted (about 20 minutes).  Toss with
marinara sauce and serve over pasta.

I make these in large batches now and freeze them (pre-cooked).  It
makes a very quick dinner to thaw and heat them in the sauce while the
pasta cooks, or microwave and serve on hoagie roll with sautéed onions
and tomato sauce as a meatball sub.