Pronunciation of Vegan

The following is perhaps peripheral to this list but I really need to
know how "vegan" is pronounced.  I always pronounced it (in my head
since no one else I know shares my interest in this subject) as: VEH JEN
with the "g" pronounced like the "j" in "joker."  The other day I met a
real flesh and blood vegan and he says the word is pronounced VEE GEN
with the "g" pronounced like the "g" in "gone."  However, wouldn't the
former pronounciation be more appropriate since "vegan" is based on the
words "vegetable" and "vegetarian"?  If this is inappropriate to this
list, please accept my apologies and e-mail me privately. Thanks.