Corn Tortillas, Cream Sauces, and Custard

For Zoe, who wants to make corn tortillas: Couldn't you
buy them in quantity when you do get to your source,
then freeze them?  That's what I do with supermarket
tortillas.  I don't even try to keep them on the
counter; they go stale before I even decide which night
I'm planning to use them.  But in the freezer, they
keep for a long time and are easy to defrost--really
just take minutes.

For Karen, who wants to make a cream sauce with soy
milk: I do it all the time.  I shake about 1/2 cup of
soy milk in a jar with flour (don't see why you
couldn't use rice flour, but I've never tried that),
then stir that into more soy milk in the pan and heat,
stirring, till it thickens.  I also add seasonings such
as curry powder or herbs, or other ingredients such as
minced onions and garlic, depending on what I plan to
use the sauce for.  Because it's fatfree soy milk, the
sauce is never as thick as the ones I used to make with
whole milk, but who cares?  I use it make casseroles
(tuna-macaroni for the carnivorous son, for example),
to make gravy, etc.  I also make cream sauces with
vegetable broth, using the same method.  Third
possibility: whirl lowfat silken tofu in a food
processor with seasonings and enough soy milk  to get
the consistency you want.  That's what I use to make my
macaroni and "cheese" (dairyless; recipe is in the
archives, I believe; I've posted it previously).  The
same carnivorous son has not complained, although once
he said he'd leave home if I made him eat tofu.  (He
left home anyway, so what's the difference? <g>)  The
soy milk will not thicken on its own, but it behaves
like regular milk in that it boils without curdling,
thickens when an agent such as flour or cornstarch or
arrowroot is added, etc.  One caveat (she said,
solemnly wagging her finger in warning): never, ever
use vanilla soy milk to make a savory (non-sweet)
sauce.  Been there, done that.  Trust me, it does NOT
taste good.

And that makes me wonder: has anyone here ever tried to
make a thin custard such as the one that restaurants
pour over desserts?  I love that stuff, but don't want
to use the eggs.  I could use my cream sauce method
with vanilla soy milk and sugar, but what would give it
the eggy taste without eggs or fat?  Any ideas out
there?

Thanks!

Ruth

Ruth C. Hoffman     ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel
Proust