Re: beans etc.

One thing you can try for beans that refuse to soften when cooked is freeze
them (in their soaking/cooking water).  It helps to break down the fibres.

Pam.

I've had beans get old and not soften, too.  For that reasons, since I
don't know how old they are when I purchased them, I try to keep beans
under a year old in my hopme... if they're getting older than that, I try
to use them up fast!!!  The tricks about not adding acidic stuff and salt
helps some, but when they're THAT old, nothing will get them to soften, in
my experience.  it's a shame, too...

-Sandra Mort, who used to think they lasted forever, too.