Lentil Stew

 From a recent Sunday's newspaper Parade magazine (modified to be FF and
low-sodium). Even my teenage (picky eater) daughter liked this! Enjoy, Bette

Lentil Stew (serves 6)

2 cups coarsely chopped onions
2 cups diced (1/2 inch) carrots
1 tblsp minced garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
4 cups veggie broth (FF, low-sodium)
1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes, chopped, with own juices
1 tblsp brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long)
1/2 cup dried barley, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, for garnish

1. Saute onions and carrots in large, heavy pot over medium-low heat; cook
stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer,
stirring. Add cumin and cook 1 minute longer.
2. Add lentils, broth, tomatoes with juices, brown sugar, and cinnamon
stick. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes,
partially covered. Add barley, cover partially, cook for 45 minutes,
stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in
shallow bowls with dollop of yogurt.

MY NOTES: The cinnamon adds great flavor! I forgot to add the parsley and it
tasted fine without. I didn't add extra salt or pepper because the broth had
enough and it seemed to have a zippy enough taste without it.