Nougat

Hi all,

I found a local shop that makes the most delicious nougat.
It's almost completely fatfree and contains dried tropical fruits
instead of nuts. Mmmmmmmmm....
I have been trying to track down a recipe to try and make some
for myself.  I found one recipe, but it calls for 1/4 cup butter to be
added near the end.  Is this necessary?  The type I bought didn't
have butter in the ingredient list.
I'll try this recipe out (without the butter) on the weekend and let
you all know whether I get a disaster or a delight.  :)
Just wondering if anyone else has a fatfree recipe for nougat or
has tried to convert a recipe to fatfree.

Robyn - Brisbane Australia