potato pizza base

Ruth wrote:

>Now a question: a restaurant review in our newspaper
>(Chicago Tribune) featured a photo of a pizza-like dish
>with a mashed-potato crust.

I could've sworn I had a potato pizza crust recipe somewhere, but I can't seem to track it down.  Sorry!  I did, however, find a recipe in "Looney Spoons" for an appetizer called 'Bermuda Tirangles'.  It's a pizza-like munchie that is cut up into small triangles to be served as hor d'ouvres (or however you spell it....)

Anyway, here's the recipe for the base.  I've eliminated the topping ingredients for your imagination to fill in.

Crust

1 large baking potato
1/3 skim milk
1 Tbsp bu**er, melted
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Microwave the potato until soft.  Cut in half and allow to cool, then peel off skin.  Place the potato in a bowl and add the milk.  Beat with an electric mixer 1 minute.
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add to the potato mixture.  Mix well with a wooden spoon, form dough into a ball, and cut the ball into quarters.  Roll each ball on a floured surface to form a 7" disc.
Spray a skillet and heat over medium-high.  Working one at a time, cook the bases 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown and slightly puffy.  Transfer to a baking sheet.
Preheat oven 400F.
Load up the bases with your favourite toppings and bake 8-10 minutes.  EAT!

I haven't tried this yet, but it sure looks good.  If anyone gives it a try I'd love to hear how it turns out!

Sharon

Sharon McCleave BSc(Hons)Ost.
Reg'd Osteopath

Ontario Osteopathic and Rehabilitation Centre