Re: Hot cocoa

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 CML410@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for hot cocoa powder? The actual powder that you
> could keep on hand and use whenever you wanted a cup. As low fat as possible
> but I assume it should be pretty easy to make low fat.

I used to make a cocoa powder for my children just by mixing unsweetened
cocoa and sugar.  Commercial cocoa mixes usually have twice as much
sugar as cocoa; for my kids I used a 3:2 sugar/cocoa ratio, and for
myself, since I like my chocolate bitter, a 1:2 or 2:3 ratio.
We made cocoa by adding the powder to milk and heating it up.
If you want a cocoa mix that you can use with water, add nonfat
dry milk to the mix.  When we mixed it with liquid milk, we did
have to beat it with a whip to avoid lumps.

Jane Colman